As a project manager, managing projects can get overwhelming at times. One very useful tool in project management programs is the Gantt chart. It is basically a fancy timeline. However, it is so much more than that. Because a project is made up of other tasks that must be completed, the Gantt chart tracks each component of the project and how they overlap in the overall timeline of the project. The Gantt chart is designed to show the phases of a project at a glance.
To make a Gantt Chart you can use an excel template like Gantt Chart Excel. This excel template is automated and it easy to use even for excel novices.
- The structure of a Gantt Chart is a bar chart that typically has duration or dates at the top and the different phases or components of the project at the left side. The horizontal bars show the start and end dates of each component or phase. With just one look, you can see which sections overlap, what is being worked on currently, and what should already be completed. This is extremely helpful since some parts of a project are often dependent upon the completion of others. Everyone on the team can see how their portion of the project affects the others and why it is important to meet the component or phase deadlines. Here are some top reasons to use Gantt chart for your project.
- Helps you keep abreast of your projects
As a Project manager, you need to always be informed about what is going on with your project. Creating a Gantt chart will give you an overview of the project from beginning to end, the people you are working with on the project, and the tasks required to complete the project.
- Easily communicate with your team on the project
Communication is crucial to the success of any project, and Gantt charts make it easier to communicate as everyone on the team can see the Gantt chart and are all caught up on the latest updates.
- Understand Task Relationships
With the Gantt chart, everyone can see how various tasks are interrelated and how one relies on the completion of another. Knowing the relationships between these tasks will help team members understanding the timing of each task and the importance of finishing on time. This can improve workflow, maximize productivity and overall project success.
- Effectively Allocate Resources
Project managers will have a clear understanding of how to manage resources for the project by looking at the chart. You would be able to know which task to complete at which time and how to better allocate resources. And the fact that the project will be completed on time helps to save extra cost.